Quiñonez Law Firm

Over 15 Years Experience

(915) 533-0009

Call For a Consultation
Se Habla Español

My Ex-Partner Won’t Let Me See My Child! What Are My Rights?

child custody

When it comes to child custody, there’s no doubt that the situation can be complicated on numerous levels. But when you’re a parent with shared custody who isn’t getting to see your child according to the legal court agreement, the situation can be even more stressful.

A recent story that aired on KFOX14 on February 20, 2019, brought to light this matter that seems to be a growing trend across Texas: fathers not seeing their child despite a legal agreement.

As a passionate child custody lawyer, Carlos Quinonez is committed to helping parents in El Paso, TX see their children based on a legal agreement that was based on your child’s best interest.

So what should you do if your ex-partner isn’t allowing you to see your child? There are a couple of practical steps you can take, all of which do not include complicating the situation more.

What to Do When a Court Order is Being Ignored

One of the first things you should do (if you haven’t already) is to speak to a child custody lawyer who will help you understand the court order. Next, your attorney will let you know whether there has been a violation. Typically, the next suggestion is to handle matters through mediation, in which you and your former partner will discuss the matters at hand with attorneys present. The goal is to find a solution that is BEST FOR THE CHILD. Not what one parent wants. You should attend mediation with an open mind, leaving behind any feelings of hatred or negative emotions toward your ex-partner. It is not a “he said/she said” argument. Rather, it should be about expressing the needs of the child and finding the best solution.    

Facing the Facts

One of the best things you can begin doing is documenting every time you are denied a visit. If your ex-partner gives you an excuse for not allowing you to see your child, write that down too. Maintaining a journal that clearly displays the numerous times you were denied to spend time with your child can be used in court. One important item to note is that a denial may not include an advanced notice via phone or electronically. You may also want someone to accompany you when you go to the location to see your child so they can be your witness. But do not cause a scene or say anything hurtful in front of your child. Stick to the facts, as difficult and hurtful as it may be.  

For the Best Legal Help When It Comes to Child Custody, Contact the Quiñonez Law Firm, P.L.L.C. Today

Even after an agreement is reached, child custody is a never-ending battle. Attempting to handle this battle alone can be extremely stressful and complicated. Don’t handle these matters alone; contact our law firm today. We will provide you with the initial answers you need to move forward.

Our Locations

© 2024 All rights reserved​ | Privacy Policy | Powered by AGI Marketing