Quiñonez Law Firm

Over 15 Years Experience

(915) 533-0009

Call For a Consultation
Se Habla Español

Frequently Asked Questions About Child Support Cases, Payments, & Family Law in El Paso

A young child holding hand with a parent as the sun is about to set

Child custody cases usually lead to a child support arrangement. There are two ways this can happen: parents independently arrive at an agreement or the courts get involved and create an agreement for both parties. Child support arrangements through the courts is a binding court order or “decree.” 

As situations and circumstances change, however, many parents often run into questions about how they can navigate this system. If you’re in El Paso, perhaps you’ve gone through a child custody case or divorce case and have seen first-hand how the process works.  

El Paso’s Quiñonez Law Firm is here to address some of the more common questions as they relate to child support in Texas. 

If you’re facing issues relating to child custody and support, don’t wait. 

Contact the Quinonez Law Firm today — (915) 533-0009

Child Support Arrangements in the State of Texas 

Texas child support laws aim to involve both parents in their children’s lives. The Texas Attorney General’s office is responsible for enforcing the state’s laws and does so by:

  • Tracking down and locating absent parents 
  • Locating parents avoiding a court decree
  • Establishing paternity
  • Establishing, enforcing, and modifying child support orders
  • Collecting and distributing child support payments

Frequently Asked Questions for Parents Seeking Child Support in El Paso

At the Quiñonez Law Firm, we see our fair share of child support cases. As such, we’ve compiled a list of frequently asked questions along with their answers. 

Can’t find what you’re looking for? Give our El Paso family law firm a call. (915) 533-0009

How do I apply for child support in El Paso?

When opening a child support case in Texas, you need to consult with your family law attorney or visit your Attorney General’s office. In Texas, you’ll need to provide information about the other parent and about yourself. This information can include social security numbers, contact information, employment history, etc.

What information does the Texas Attorney General’s office need to locate a noncustodial parent?

Every case is different, and some cases require tracking down a noncustodial parent who is avoiding payments. In this case, the most important information in addition to that person’s known address and contact information is their employer information. Other helpful information includes the names of their banks and creditors and organizations or clubs they are actively involved in.

Why is establishing paternity important?

If you are not married to the person carrying your child, establishing paternity is an important step to ensuring the legal connection between you and your child. It is the only way your name can appear on the child’s birth certificate, which protects the legal connection to the child, and gives the legal ability to care for the child as well. 

Common Questions About Missing Payments 

Whether you are the primary custodial parent or the non-custodial parent, it’s possible to run into questions regarding child support payments. The state of Texas takes family law cases seriously and has established penalties for missed payments or ignored decrees. 

What happens when a parent does not pay child support?

If you stop paying child support payments without contacting the AG’s office, action may be taken against you. The Office of the Attorney General can collect past-due support even after the child is grown, charging interest on the unpaid amount. The state has the ability to garnish your wages, intercept federal income tax returns, file a lien against your property, suspend your driver’s license, and more.

Does not paying child support mean I can’t see my child?

Legally speaking, child support payments and visitations are two separate things. Visitation rights are enforced by the courts and not the Attorney General’s office. If your child’s other parent is preventing you from seeing your child, you should contact your El Paso family attorney or your state’s hotline for Access and Visitation. Both parents are obligated to follow the state’s court order.

What determines how much child support I should pay?

Every state has different guidelines. In Texas, you should expect to pay:

  • About 20% of net income for one child
  • 25% for two children
  • 30% for three children 
  • 35% for four children 

In that sense, it’s important to be honest and clear with the court about your financial situation.

What happens if I lose my job and can’t make payments?

If your financial situation has changed, it’s essential that you communicate that to the AG’s office, your Texas child support lawyer, or the court. You need to obtain a new support order so that your payments may be modified. An El Paso family law lawyer at Quinonez Law Firm can help with any needed child support modification.

What happens if I miss child support payments?

Texas law can find non-paying parents in contempt of court and place them in jail for up to six months. It’s possible that you may be found in violation of Texas Penal Code 25.05, which states it is a state felony to purposefully or knowingly avoid child support payments. Missing payments can also negatively affect a person’s credit score, their ability to get a passport, and more. If you’ve missed a child support payment, it’s important to contact an El Paso child support lawyer right away. 

Need Help With Your El Paso Child Support Case? Contact Your Trusted Family Law Attorney

In matters relating to child support and child custody, there is a lot on the line. Dealing with the courts, Texas Attorney General’s office, and other state entities can quickly become overwhelming. As a family law attorney in El Paso, Mr. Carlos Quiñonez can help you navigate the changing circumstances of your case. 

Have questions on an El Paso family law case? Looking for legal guidance to deal with child custody or child support in Texas? We can help.

Call the Quiñonez Law Firm today — (915) 533-0009

Our Locations

© 2024 All rights reserved​ | Privacy Policy | Powered by AGI Marketing